The Value of WTA Membership
In order to have a strong and sustainable wilderness tourism industry we need to have a robust industry organization with independent funding. We can only achieve our goals of protecting the land and water resources that support our businesses, and securing access to high quality opportunities and experiences if we have a strong stakeholder base of wilderness tourism operators from every area of the province.
The WTABC has adopted an industry stakeholder model where all wilderness, adventure or nature based tourism operators and those associated with nature based tourism like sector associations, regions, DMO’s, education institutions, suppliers, consultants and ‘friends’ are considered stakeholders. The WTABC has two categories of stakeholders: voting and non-voting.
As a voting stakeholder of the WTABC you support a dynamic organization representing the collective interests and concerns of BC's wilderness or nature based tourism industry. The primary role of the WTABC is to provide leadership and advocacy on issues that are important to its stakeholders. This allows our stakeholders to continue to pursue their business interests. There are hundreds of nature based tourism businesses in BC who use our wilderness recreational resources and the WTABC is the only organization, which represents their interests and concerns. Destination Marketing Organizations can't provide this service nor should they.
Perhaps the most substantial benefit of belonging to WTABC is knowing that you belong to an organization that you can call on when needed. In today's operating environment this is becoming more often than not.
By becoming a WTABC Voting Stakeholder not only do you help to protect your investment - protecting the land and water resources that support your businesses, and securing access to high quality opportunities and experiences, but you also have access to the resources, benefits and privileges of the WTABC including:
- Voting at the AGM and other meetings of the association, including the election of the Board of Directors.
- Effective advocacy, lobbying and information exchange on issues facing operators and the greater industry;
- Representation on issues of importance to your business and/or sector including official representation in the Government/Industry Committees, Forums and planning processes;
- The opportunity to inform and shape WTABC and industry priorities, policies, standards and best practices;
- Expert advice and/or assistance on your issues of concern such as land use conflicts, tenure security, liability and operating practices.
- Access to industry research, reports and marketing studies.
- Regular and informative newsletters, bulletins and updates via email.
- Industry promotion including listings on the BE WILD IN BC Tour Operator Directory that 'hot links' to your business website, and WTABC Stewardship Stories.
- Subscription to the WTABC Voting Stakeholders email listserv, which provides easy access to other voting stakeholders for discussion and advice.
- Health and Dental Plan for owners and employees of stakeholder companies
- Travel Insurance Program providing comprehensive coverage for adventure tourism holidays (trip cancellation and emergency medical) that members can offer to their clients.
- The WTABC is also currently looking at offering a group liability insurance program for stakeholders as well as a Blanket Security Agreement (group performance bond) for land tenure improvements.
The WTABC has two categories of stakeholders: voting and non-voting.
Is an operator/business that pays an annual contribution based on the number of employees they have. See the attached membership application for details. Non-voting stakeholders are encouraged to donate to the WTABC to help sustain the organization. Suggested donation amounts are $150 - $300. Click here for a WTABC Donation Form.
Non-voting stakeholders will have access to the following benefits and privileges:
- Representation on issues of importance to the whole nature based tourism industry;
- Participating in and benefiting from WTABC work, initiatives and opportunities on a fee for service basis;
- Advertising on our BE WILD IN BC Tour Operator Directory on a fee for service basis;
- Subscription to the WTABC non-voting stakeholders email list, which provides industry news and updates, and appeals to become a voting stakeholder or to donate to the WTABC; and
- Attending meetings of the association, but will not be entitled to vote at any meetings of the association.
To join the WTABC as a Voting stakeholder, please return the following application. Voting stakeholders will need to pledge to comply with the code of conduct and the constitution and bylaws.
PDF Format; File Size 135KB
To make a donation and help support the WTABC, as a non-voting stakeholder, please return the following donation form.
PDF Format; File Size 131KB
PDF Format; File Size 248KB
A comprehensive document, which outlines the guidelines qualified members will practice is available here for display and printing.
PDF Format; 5 Pages; File Size 208k
8566 Moxon Terrace
North Saanich, BC, Canada V8L 1K6